Saturday, July 22, 2006

God's Strange Angel II: Looking for Evidence of the Trinity in the Tanakh

The Angel and God's Name

In the book of Exodus, we notice an angel that has a special relationship with God's name.

Exodus 23:20-22

20"Behold, I send an angel before you to guard you on the way and to bring you to the place that I have prepared. 21Pay careful attention to him and obey his voice; do not rebel against him, for he will not pardon your transgression, for my name is in him.

22"But if you carefully obey his voice and do all that I say, then I will be an enemy to your enemies and an adversary to your adversaries.


Judaism 101 states: "In Jewish thought, a name is not merely an arbitrary designation, a random combination of sounds. The name conveys the nature and essence of the thing named. It represents the history and reputation of the being named."

The Talmud notes about the angel: "It was Metatron [who said that], he replied, whose name is similar to that of his Master, for it is written, For my name is in him." (Sanhedrin 38b)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home